Recently I took the Clifton Strengthsfinder(tm) test to determine what my core strengths are. This test is absolutely amazing in that it can pinpoint who I am and what I’m all about.
I have known for years that I’d rather eat barbed wire than do anything related to accounting. Although in my business, quite often I am required to look at the bottom-line numbers of my company, however, this is the least favorite thing on my “to-do” list.
Give me a widget to sell; sign me up to work the booth at a trade show; show me a new product that solves some problem and let my creative juices start to figure out ideas on how to market and I’m in my element.
So why was I so surprised at what the test results showed? Well blow me over I don’t know. What I do know is that I doubt there is anyone who knows me even slightly will disagree as to what the test results revealed about who I am.
The test results labels me is a “Passionistas” ™! Ok, what does that really mean? The formal or technical answers are:
- Purpose driven–intrinsically motivated by my passion.
- Warm, approachable and externally-focused.
- Love leading others to action.
- Personal and organizational mission statements are important to me.
- Critical that I use my talents daily and love what I am doing.
- Team-oriented–add gusto to any group!
What does this really mean in real down-to-earth terms:
- I love to have fun. If it ain’t fun, let’s find something else that is! This why my friends refer to me as “Wild Woman”!
- I make friends easily. Well why not, I can clearly say, I never meet a stranger. After all, Momma said I would talk to a sign post!
- I explain things in story form. Did you know that when I was 9 years old, …..happened to me and so, on and so on.
- I want everyone in the room, on the block, in the building to come to the party. We can’t leave anyone out. Being an only child made me this way. I had to go find friends because I didn’t have brothers or sisters to play with. Now you know…I was deprived. That’s why I married someone who is the oldest of 15 kids! Really!
- I am full of ideas. Well that explains my sewing room with a zillion projects in various stages of completion. Yes, that is because about the time I come up with one idea to make something pretty, I will start thinking of 5 other things I could make in the next hour.
So you see, if they had just asked me about me rather than me having to take a test to find out who I am, I could have told them all about me!
Peggy P. Edge (c) 2013