Networking: Connecting Through Social Media
For many years, face-to-face networking has been the primary way for sales executives to connect with potential buyers. Many of us are still a little slow to embrace social media to its fullest as a means to grow our business.
I will be the first to admit that I’m still a neophyte at social media but I work on it every day. Like they say, “I ain’t there yet but I’m getting there little-by-little.”
Let’s face it, social media is here to stay. We might as well roll up our sleeves, cinch up our belt and get savvy with every possible way to make connections and seize opportunities.
To improve your overall effectiveness as a networker, here are a few tips that I have recently learned on how to improve my own social media:
- Make sure that all of your social media profiles say the same thing.
- Give yourself a title that is descriptive of what you do. For example, I am the owner of my company. However, I am a Business Networking Expert, Speaker, Author and Industrial Packaging Specialist. Therefore, list what you do as your Title, not the position that you hold within your company.
- Create a Summary that includes who you are and what products or services provided. Again, make sure they are consistent on each media.
- Write a short statement, one paragraph, about each job that you have held.
- Toot your own horn by including all Awards and Honors that you have accumulated over the years. People really read this stuff when they are checking you out.
- List all continuing education or self-improvement coursework that you have taken.
- Write short, to-the-point, articles or 1-2 sentence posts on your social media. This will qualify you as an author.
- Comment on posts by others. This will get better ratings on Google because it draws attention to you and what you are up to.
- Connect periodically with your tribe to let them know you are still alive and kicking. Send them a link to your most recent blog post.
Other places where you can connect with me include:
Facebook Business Page: https://www.facebook.com/PeggyEdgeFanPage
Peggy P. Edge (c) 2014