Salesperson: Likability or Credibility–which do you want?
Likability or Credibility: As a salesperson, do you want to be liked or do you want to be considered credible?
Many sales gurus say that people only buy from those they like. I’ll be the first to say, I want others to like me. However, the litmus test for all of us as salespeople is not likability but is credibility.
Just a few pointers that I expect to convey to my prospects and clients:
- To be considered credible and believable
- To be regarded as trustworthy
- To be viewed as an expert in my industry
- To be relied upon for the knowledge of my products and services to solve a particular application or problem
- To be recommended to others
- To be a partner, not just a vendor
If we fail pass the test in any of these areas the likelihood of our making the sale is usually slim to none.
Only when we are perceived as creditable, believable, and trustworthy will we “have THE EDGE !”
Peggy P. Edge (c) 2014