Customer Service: It’s the People that Make it Good!
Outstanding customer service is at the core of every company. In order to earn repeat business, companies must be willing to go the extra mile to deliver exceptional service.
Companies like Starbucks, Southwest Airlines and Apple are well known for being trailblazers in providing excellent customer service.
However, it is not the company that delivers the service but the people within the organization—the Customer Service Representative—Joe Bob and Mary Jane.
So what does it take to deliver excellent customer service? There is one rep that I have had the distinct pleasure to work with at one of my vendors for many years. She is the best that I’ve ever seen at customer service. I would like to share my observations what makes her so accomplished:
- Outgoing and personable.
- Levelheaded under pressure.
- Attentive to detail.
- Willing to do whatever it takes to make the sale.
- Knows the product line and available substitutes.
- Keeps abreast of inventory levels.
- Takes responsibility of making decisions on the fly.
- Adept at working the corporate system.
- Uses every opportunity available to learn about new product offerings.
- “No” is not part of her vocabulary but “let’s see what I can do” is.
- Thinks outside the box for solutions.
- Sometimes seen as a rebel however always keeps the best interest of the client in mind.
- Helps the client save time and money.
Many of these attributes are learned skills that can be taught. However, this gal truly has the mindset of a servant–dedicated and willing to be a problem solver and insure the needs of her clients are met every time.
If your customer service representatives can embrace these skills and learn to serve the client, you will see sales increase because clients will come back again and again.
Peggy P. Edge (c) 2014